Thursday 11 July 2013

Orientating myself with the scale of my study site




I decided to orientate myself with the scale of the Electric Martial Eagle Project by purchasing 14 1:250 000 maps from the mapping department in Rondebosch. My plan was to put them above my desk so that when I am looking for a location near to the power lines or somebody tells me about a new nest, I can jump up on my desk and find it.This may seem like archaic behaviour since I could just use a mapping program, but it is just not the same as having all the detail of the area in front of you at once. Unfortunately my maps were only up for a couple of weeks as cupboards needed to be installed on the wall above my desk. Even though I don’t have the maps above my desk anymore the exercise was useful to show me just how massive this project is going to be.


Sticking the maps on the wall


This is my study site


It was brilliant to have so much detail

No comments:

Post a Comment